Tuesday, April 29, 2008

stories

1. Kids can learn important lessons, morals, and correct social behavior from stories, as well be entertained by them. Stories can also strengthen the relationship between the kid and the older person reading it to him/her. People might read to kids because it gives them a chance to return briefly to their childhood and enjoy their imaginations. The stories also build a foundation for an appreciation for fiction and literature for the child later in life.

2. For older, more mature older people, reading stories provides a means of leisure and entertainment. It allows for an escape from the real world to go on adventures or read about others' experiences. There are lessons that even sophisticated adults can learn from any sort of story.

3. Sometimes stories that people write are inspired by or reflect actual issues in the real world. The author may have insight that he wants to share. If a bunch of people read the book, then they can discuss this insight and maybe use it to create solutions to problems. Which are good. It can also lead to more national unity if people read things about lives that are different than theirs.

3. I remember at my cabin my dad would see how fast he could read Fox in Socks to me. It's a tongue twister of a book. That was fun. Earlier, at home, before bed, he once read Huck Finn to me and my brother. Maybe also Tom Sawyer. Earlier than that, my dad would lay in bed with me when i would try to fall asleep for a nap and he would come up with stories about "brave sir Devin." I think I had a friend monkey in those stories who would help me. There was an evil alligator too. I would fall asleep to those stories. I guess I associate my dad with stories because he was typically the one who read them to us instead of my mom.

4. A good story should have:
1. Vivid Imagery for many senses.
2. Characters, preferably a protagonist and antagonist, but they might be a little of both.
3. Careful syntax and word choice to make the story flow easily.
4. A point to the story; a theme or lesson to be learned.
5. Interesting organization that keeps it thrilling.
6. A setting well-described and offering opportunities for lots of action.
7. A well-paced timeline
8.The author should always try to keep the reader engaged and wanting to read more.
f

No comments: