Friday, February 1, 2008

2. My Beef with the Political System

Politics. When some hear the word, adrenaline starts flowing and they get excited. It's a broad topic, and I have some issues with it. I understand the importance of democracy and how we should all have a say in who leads the country and makes decisions. I just don't like the separation that the party system creates. Most of my friends are Democrats, but my dad is a Republican. I therefore get exposure to many sides of the political spectrum. The thing I don't like is the hate that people get inside of them. I see Democrats regularly mock Republicans in general, saying things like "they're so stupid" or "I hate them all" and they don't understand that that sort of attitude doesn't help progress in this country at all. Then I hear my dad telling me all the things the liberals are doing and how they aren't fair.
Well, this response is getting kind of long so I'll wrap it up. Basically, everyone needs to realize that everyone believes in different things so we should all listen to others' justifications and rationalizations before we judge them according to what group they belong to. I consider myself a moderate, by the way, and I have no idea who I want to be president.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I completely agree. Politics right now is more or less a war between liberals and conservatives. I think we would get more done if people realized that both sides have rational justifications for their views, and in doing so, learned to respect one another.