Tuesday, February 12, 2008

2. My Theme

I haven't had much of an opportunity to consider what I'm going to write about in my play, but I'll write a couple theme ideas here.
If I put my play in a school setting, I see a couple of possibilities. I could go the "life is cyclical" route and show the endless routines that kids go through in a day. I could make it sort of absurd, with kids thinking "what's the point? We work all day, go to bed to late, wake up too early, work all day." And if I wanted to end it on a dark note, I could suggest that the only thing that ends the cycle is death. Another possible theme could be to look at human nature, maybe how someone tries to change in a way to please others, but in the long run she can't change her nature.
I don't mean that those themes are always true, but I've experienced them before (not the death part) and I feel that they could provide nice play substance.
Another idea that I could talk about is that death isn't the end. Maybe it's just the beginning and crazy stuff starts happening when we die.
I'm not obsessed with death or anything, but it's always intrigued me.
So there's some original brainstorm material from Devin Stone, I hope you enjoyed it.

No comments: