Friday, February 1, 2008

3. My Inspiration

One example of a piece of art that has inspired me is The Princess Bride by William Goldman. It's a popular movie, but I read the book before I saw the movie and I liked the book much better. There are so many things I like about the book: the characters, the plot, the themes, and especially the writing style. The characters are all unique and thrilling in their own ways. Inigo Montoya, the best swordsman in the world, obsessed with tracking down the six-fingered man that killed his father; Westley and Buttercup and their love that never dies (I've always been a sucker for true love); The guy whose name I forget that loves killing and torture. It's not only a great plot that includes romance, adventure, revenge, fighting, and poison, but the way Goldman weaves the story is unlike anything I've ever seen. He fills it with side comments and personal stories as if he abridged an old classic novel that his father introduced him to. He creates both the story plot and a plot about how he adapted the story plot from another author (who, I found out to my surprise after reading it- that's how convincing it was- doesn't exist). I'll always remember this novel as a great work written creatively and filled with important life themes.

1 comment:

Michael said...

"a great plot that includes romance, adventure, revenge, fighting, and poison" - sounds intense. i saw this movie a long time ago, but i don't remember it too well; i had no idea it was based on a book.